Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Remembering...











A year ago yesterday, tragedy had hit my homeland. Never did I think that the small place many call home would run itself into a watery grave. The very thing that attracts people to the island is the same thing that took so many lives and scarred just as many families, within the island and those outside. I remembered coming home from work and the news was on in all rooms. I sat down and immediately heard Samoa and Tsunami screaming from the TV screen. My stomach just wrenched in unbelief. Than immediately my thoughts went to my family that remained on the island. Were they ok? Were they hit? Do they need things? This was home, a place my heart was already sent to, before I even got to know it. As time went on just seeing the simple acts of compassion from people all over was more than overwhelming. From the little messages of hope that were written on containers sent to help with the tsunami relief efforts, to individuals who put small concerts together to collect money for those people that were suffering. People acted fast and out of love. I have never been more proud to be a Samoan than that moment. I was able to go home in November just a few months after the tsunami happened. It was humbling from the day I landed on the island til now. Here are some photos of the tsunami sights!

No comments:

Post a Comment